Orbital & Midface Reconstruction
(Warning some items have graphic surgical images).
Cosmetic Concern: This 51-year old woman lost her left eye from a childhood orbital tumor. She consulted Dr. Steinsapir because her glass eye would not stay behind the left eyelids.
1. Failure to retain ocular prosthesis.
2. Inadequate orbital volume.
3. Loss of inferior conjunctival cul-de-sac.
4. Left upper eyelid ptosis.
1. Replacement of left intraconal implant.
2. Left midface surgery with ePTFE custom implant.
3. Left lower eyelid reconstruction with hard palate graft.
Discussion: Staged surgery was performed to rehabilitate her left orbit and midface. Many individuals who have lost an eye did not receive sufficient orbital volume at the time of their initial reconstruction. Addressing this issue can make a significant difference to the final result.